Tuesday, November 20, 2007

On Writing

Growing up, my parents often proofread my written homework. As I got older, these critique sessions turned into a daily dose of verbal sparring. They would point out incorrect grammar, I'd insist it was correct. Oi vey. (although if this was my idea of teenaged rebellion I think they got off easy!) Sometimes I'd make the changes they suggested, usually after I'd gone back to my room lest they think I was a pushover. I generally thought of myself as someone who struggled with writing.

My first semester required writing seminar at NYU didn't dissuade me of this. That class felt like pulling fingernails. Luckily I had a much better experience in the second semester; Glynnis was an amazing teacher, and our group of 15 or so students did some wonderful work together. For the first time I wrote a piece that just flowed out of me in fifteen minutes. I still feel proud of it when I reread it today. A few years ago I served as newsletter editor for a volunteer organization I work with. I was constantly writing, experiencing that wonderful flow of words. I realized, hey, I like writing! And I'm not bad at it! When I was through as newsletter editor, I didn't have the impetus to write as frequently, and that is what motivated me to start blogging.

Now that I've bored you with The History of Jennifer's Writing, I'm amazed and proud to share that BipolarLawyerCook awarded me with an award for Powerful Words. Thank you BLC!


According to the rules, I need to list three things that I feel make writing powerful and list five people I would like to give this award to.
  1. honesty
  2. an understanding of the rules of language, combined with the flexibility to work outside of the box of grammar
  3. a feeling that the writer is pushing themselves, or going outside of their comfort zone
  1. Stuntmother
  2. Jen Lemen
  3. Moonflower at Real Mental
  4. Thordora
  5. Therese at Beyond Blue

4 comments:

adena said...

congrats on your award!
I wanted to get back to you about the "being the only Jewish" kids thing. That's how I grew up, so I wanted better for my son. Now he thinks everyone is Jewish! I like that he's in a positive Jewish atmosphere at school, and some day, he'll figure out the rest of the world isn't like school. By then, he'll feel comfortable with his identity. I don't have any good suggestions for your school, except to just laugh at how clueless most people are...

BipolarLawyerCook said...

You deserve it. I like the idea of pushing beyond the comfort zone very much.

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for your kindness.

Francesca said...

Thank you - so much. Writing is important to me. It doesn't surprise me that it is important to you too.