Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Belated Embarassment

I live about 35 minutes from Cypress Gardens, Florida's first theme park. The first time I went there, I was blown away by what an anachronism it was. Southern Belles standing around the park to have their photos taken with the tourists, a water skiing show, and who knows what.

A week later I was at therapy, sharing a few yuks with my shrink over what a wacky place it was.

Fast forward a few months later, and Cypress Gardens is bankrupt and everyone is fired. As I'm reading about it in the paper I realize with horror that my shrink is the granddaughter of the founder. Oh my stars.

I see a different therapist now (for reasons not having to do with my inadvertent insult), but thought of this again today because her Dad just passed away.

3 comments:

Misty said...

that is really sad...

there is nothing worse than airing a feeling/annoyance and finding out that the listener is somehow connected to that which we vent about. GAH!

Suna Kendall said...

I once told my real estate agent I'd never live in a particular neighborhood because the houses were so cheaply built. Turned out she lived there.

I loved Cypress Gardens, which was less of an anachronism in the 60s.

Silver Springs is still there, and I got to visit last time I was in the area a couple of years ago. My sister has moved back "home" to Gainesville, so maybe I can revisit some of these venerable attractions again!

Memories! I have SO many photos of those "belles" in the dresses in spectacular Brownie Hawkeye quality (you young people: it was a very rudimentary camera popular in the 50s and 60s).

nyjlm said...

Suna- I think I mentioned this, but when you visit your sis again you must go to Sweet Dreams ice cream shop. Yum. There is also a great Cuban place in that same shopping plaza.
I really enjoy visiting my sil in G'ville.