Thursday, March 15, 2007

Demons

Megan posted a great creative challenge at CAC on Sunday. We all have demons, and drawing them and giving them a name can help us as we try to overcome them.

First up, Olivia Overwhelm



Sometimes I feel like a glass of water. When I become overloaded (very often it is a sensory thing, I become overstimulated by what surrounds me visually- aka clutter!) I feel like the water is flooding out of me and over me.

Tabitha Twig comes along just when I can't take the water rushing over me anymore.



I feel brittle and I just go snap.

Tornado Tina and Tidal Wave Tammy are also involved when I'm feeling overwhelmed



When the tidal wave comes ashore and drenches me, my tornado whips into action. I often rush around, trying to escape the awful feeling of being overwhelmed, overstimulated, and when I find nowhere that fits the bill I holler and express anger.

The next two demons often come out when I feel like I can't fight the overwhelming feelings anymore.



I do get so discouraged sometimes that I can hardly take care of day to day things. Granite Girl is positively paralyzed by the amount of work that needs to be done; instead of trying to take things one step at a time, she remains sedentary.

Super slug is not so super. She believes it is for the best that an object at rest tends to stay at rest. Even if going out might improve her mood, she likes to hang out in her pajamas in her bedroom at home, and resists all efforts to try to improve a situation.

Oh boy, I hope I don't scare you all off ;) I have a lot of demons it seems--I actually have two more in mind to draw! Two things I'd like to represent this way are anxiety and my sensitivity, which isn't necessarily a demon, but feels like a liability when I'm exposed and deeply hurt.

As I mentioned the other day, my kids were interested in what I was doing. We chatted and I drew these for them:



My 7.5 yo son tends to whine instead of speak. And lately my 5 yo daughter has been very moany. I'm thinking that these drawings are a good way for all of us to recognize the facets of our personalities that we can work on to make family life more pleasant for all.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

These are AMAZING!! So cool that you did this, and named them!! I can relate to some of them for sure!! GREAT job!!

Tammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love your demons! I have exactly the same experience with overwhelm and clutter. Maybe I should give your visual tutorial to my husband who just doesn't see the problem :).