Wednesday, July 30, 2008

baby steps back to blogging

We are home from the big road trip. Overall we had a great time, along with a few challenging moments. I have a zillion pictures to share, and I have all kinds of things I want to write. I haven't gotten switched from thinking about posting to posting. I read this meme on Krista's blog the other night and realized I'd enjoy looking back and that it would get me writing here again. So...

20 Years ago: I was 18. I'd graduated from high school and attended orientation at NYU. People I met that week were my friends all through college...wish I could say that I was still in touch with them. I also spent my first summer working at Great Gull Island, an island research station that changed my life.

15 Years ago: I was 23 and had moved Panama City, FL with Erik. It was the beginnning of a long, hard adjustment to life in Florida. I worked at Lechter's, a kitchen store at the mall.

10 Years ago: I was 28. We lived in Altamonte Springs, near Orlando, and were hoping a baby would be in our future. I think I got pregnant the next month! I was out of retail and had been working for my Dad for under a year.

5 Years ago: I was 33. We lived in our present home in a rural part of Florida, Sam was 4 and Maya was 1.5. We took a long, wonderful summer trip in California, which included a breastfeeding and parenting conference.

3 Years ago: I was 35. My sister had just returned to the States after living in Uzbekistan for a few years. She was due with her first baby. Our summer road trip was to Washington, DC, and we stayed with a good friend (along with a bunch of mutual good friends!) in her beautiful Georgetown home. My sister was staying there too. It was a fun time! And, yep, I went to a conference while there.

1 Year ago: I was 37 and freaking the heck out. I spent a lot of the summer in bed, depressed and anxious. I took the lactation boards (and passed). I went to Chicago for a conference.

Yesterday: I took the kids to their respective camps, went to the store, went to work, went to a different store, picked the kids up, and went home to exercise. I did a Walk Away the Pounds dvd- I'm officially middle aged.

Today I: brought the kids to camp and came to work. I plan to exercise this afternoon (going for 3 days in a row) and to do a crafty project of some sort with the kids.

Tomorrow I Will: work. Do something fun and creative with the kids. Go to a Weight Watchers meeting. Exercise.

In the next 5 years: I will pass the GRE, be accepted to a masters of public health program, finish the program, and find a meaningful, fulfilling job in the field. I will have one teenager (eek!) and one tween. I will go on adventures with my husband.

2 comments:

Gina said...

visiting here from Just Be Connected. Sweetie,you aren't officially middle-aged until you hit 50. 30's are the old old middle-age. When you are in your 50's, you'll see that the 30-somethings are still youngsters.
LOl!
:-) Gina

Suna Kendall said...

Good to have you back. And hey, I am 50 and don't feel middle aged, LOL. Interesting meme--I may do it.