Friday, August 24, 2007

Quest

When I saw the theme at Mama Says Om, I first thought of those delicious moments overhearing the kids plan some great adventure. Then I thought of my own quests.



Quest for Inner Peace. I've been seeking this for some time now--my holy grail. It is a three steps forward, two steps back kind of journey. This week has had advances and setbacks galore.



My next quest is for peace in parenting. This quest is closely linked to the quest for inner peace. I wonder if you can have one without the other, or if one must come before the other by necessity.



The quest for time for creativity suffers at the hand of the other two. The projects and ideas pile up, and whirl around my head. I know what I need to do to have peace in parenting, but often my desperate grasping after time for creativity causes me to lose my tentative grasp. But if I don't get to express myself, will I ever achieve inner peace?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see soooo many familiar books on your shelf there!

I loved Buddhism For Mothers, and I think I need to read it again. Thanks for that visual reminder.

I've been doing this absent spacey mothering lately that isn't really proactive....

Loved seeing your books!

Francesca said...

HOLY crap. You been by and stolen my books? That is too funny.

I too am on a quest. In fact, I like thinking about that in more ways than one. Ho! Is this the Holy Scrambled Egg of Dinner I must conquer! I'faith it is!

It makes life more literary, which in my book, is good.

My mother would say (would have said), though, that I'm looking for wisdom in the wrong place. To which I'd reply, show me the right place to look and I'll look there. For now, there is wisdom in words.

Anonymous said...

I've given up on inner peace as a mother, I think. I hardly craft anymore as I don't know where to start. Too many ideas busting around and not enough focus.